Monday, August 9, 2010

Howdy Pardner!

Last weekend we took the kids out the Grammy's house for Dodge City Days.  I hadn't been in a long time and the kids had never experienced the "Greatest Show on Dirt."  What bad parents we are!   My sister, brother-in-law and their two girls were there too.  We got in late Friday night and the girls attempted a slumber party in the enclosed porch/sun room.  Isabella quickly realized she needed to come in and go sleep downstairs.  The other girls managed to fall asleep hours later. 

Saturday morning we got up early to participate in the kiddie parade.  Chris and my brother-in-law Tony had turned our garden wagon into a covered wagon.  We had to sign in an hour early and then the little cowgirls and cowboy waited patiently for the parade to begin.  They did great!  The girls waved the whole time and Sam loved it once the wagon was moving.  At the end of the parade they handed out prizes and "Grammy's Gang" took first prize in the large group division.   They were so excited.  The five girls split the $50 cash prize and quickly went over to the "arts, crafts & stuff fair."  Yes I said, "stuff fair."  It is Dodge City.  They all bought various forms of jewelery.   We went to lunch and went home for naps and relaxing away from the heat. 

Every cowboy likes to hold his Daddy's hand!

Isabella couldn't stop waving even after the parade was over...

Isabella is really admiring the $50 bill!

Chris "interviews" Uncle Tony with his water bottle about how it felt to make the float and then win the competition.

That evening we went to the rodeo.  It's a shame my kids have lived as long as they have without going to the rodeo.  They all loved it. Sophia was SO excited at everything!  Even Sam loved watching all the bulls and horses.  Every time one went through the exit gate he would say, "Bye Bye (pause) Cow."  I don't have any pictures from the rodeo since I spent the entire time wrangling my own little calf.  Sam doesn't sit still long.  He was up, down, and we had to work hard to keep his attention on the animals.  But, he did better than expected.  We drove back home that night and got in around 1:30am since we needed to be at church the next morning.

The kids had so much fun.  But they are really very tired still today.  Of course, they're already back in their cowgirl outfits playing today.  Such a fun time for all the kids! 

No comments:

Post a Comment