Monday, September 20, 2010

Adventures in Motherhood


Some days I think I've got things figured out.  Then I prove myself completely wrong in an instant.  Our dog was overdue for her yearly shots.  She's a 9 year-old golden retriever who thinks she's still a puppy.  She's amazing with our kids, but she gets incredibly excited to see new people.  Think lots of jumping up and licking!  I really needed to get her in to the vet so I looked at my schedule.  If I waited for a free Saturday when Chris could take her in....well it would probably be another few months.  So, I figured today would be great.  Sophia and Anna were in school, Isabella was at preschool, and it was just me and Sam.  We loaded up in the van and went to the vet.  This was a good idea.  It would have been hard to take more kids with me in the tiny room at the vet's.  I was really smart planning it this way. 

About 10 seconds in to the vet visit I realized that this was not a good idea.  I'm not sure who was more difficult to control -- the 80 (actually 75lb now!!) dog or the 2 year-old boy who loves doors and thinks all dogs love him.  I was trying to calm Sadie down, keep her from jumping on everyone and still keep track of Sam.  We went in the tiny waiting room with doors on either side.  Great.  He couldn't keep his hands off them.  I had to try to convince him to stay in the room and at the same time hold Sadie's face different ways so the vet could check out her ears and teeth.  Then I had to help her stay still for shots. Luckily she didn't even notice them.  But I was still completely out of my league.   Then it was time to leave and pay.  We went out to the front desk where I was supposed to contain my dog, sign my credit card slip, and keep both Sam and Sadie away from the other two playful large dogs. 

I came home exhausted.  I was covered in dog hair, had a full-blown allergy attack from the cats at the vet and could hardly believe I had thought that was a good idea.  What was I thinking?  I still can't figure out which was more difficult to contain, the overgrown puppy or the 2-year old boy.  Good thing they're both so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment