Monday, February 4, 2013

A "Not So Deep" Thought...

I've had a lot of deep thoughts lately.  When you are involved in ministry and in the personal lives of people it's impossible not to be emotionally involved.  You get to celebrate the high highs and grieve the low lows right alongside people.  Some weeks are emotionally draining to say the least.  Last week was one of those weeks for me. I was in an emotional pit.  And I was having a hard time climbing out of it. 

So on Saturday I caught myself having a "not so deep" thought.  I had an internal debate with myself about brownies. 


Yep, brownies.  I asked myself, if I had to choose between a hot, fresh out-of-the-oven brownie, or the chance to lick the batter bowl, what would I choose?  This is what I think about on Saturday nights?  A little pathetic, right?  But, it was a no-brainer for me.  My entire purpose for making brownies is simply to lick the spoon and the bowl.  I really couldn't care that much about the brownies.  Though, I never turn one down right out of the oven.  I'll be honest, I rarely turn one down period. 

But then I stopped and really thought about what I was thinking about.  Oh. My. Gosh.  It felt so good to be thinking about something so trivial.  Something without eternal implications.  Something that didn't really matter at all. To anyone. I just started to laugh and told Chris what I was thinking about.  He wasn't really impressed.  But it was exactly what I needed.  And I felt myself climbing out of that pit.  All because of brownies.  See, you can never underestimate the power of chocolate!  


No comments:

Post a Comment