Saturday, July 16, 2011

I survived VBS!


I think I'd like a shirt that says, "I survived VBS!"  Because after about 9 months of planning it, and a couple of weeks of living and breathing everything VBS, I feel like I've earned the right to wear the shirt. 

In all honesty, VBS week is my favorite week every year in the church.  The building is decorated in a fun way.  Who doesn't love a good theme?  There are tons of kids everywhere.  Crafts - need I say more.  Fun music.  Adults dancing who normally wouldn't.  Lots of laughter, noise and controlled chaos.  Tons of adult volunteers, young and adult, new and very experienced.  And the planning.  Ahh, the planning.  That's one of the best parts for an organizing and planning fool like me.  I like to have all the details worked out ready to be executed.  Then hopefully, each night things will run smoothly and nobody will know the months of planning it took to make it all happen.  And then I fade into the background and let the more outgoing folks shine.  Perfect. 

All week long we taught children about the Bible and how to live out God's Recipes for life.  Some come to church every Sunday.  Some come once a year to VBS.  Others may not step foot in a church for years to come.  But we're planting seeds. Lots of tiny, precious seeds.  That's the very best part.  Seeing kids excited to be at church.  Skipping ball games to come.  Heading on vacations a little later than planned.  All so they can come to church.  AWESOME!  Now we just need to keep the momentum going the other 51 weeks out of the year.  Who's with me?   

As I said, "I survived," but I'm not sure my kids did.  Besides VBS we also had 3 days of swim meets this week.  So by Saturday, Sam took a 6 hour nap.  Yep, 6 hours.  Then was awake for 2 hours and then went back to bed.  Sophia and Anna basically put themselves down for bed at 5 pm before even eating dinner.  Isabella seemed remarkably perky, but that's normal.  And Chris and I are dragging big-time.  Too bad he has a paper due tomorrow because the man could use some serious sleep!  I'm thinking VBS, work, grad school, swim meets and taking care of the family was just a bit much for one week.  Good thing that next week things slow down a bit for us.  Chris and Sam have birthdays, but other than that, we're going to take it easy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment