Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Taking a Break

Sam was a little grouchy last night.  It was bedtime and I had dragged my 4 kiddos to a meeting with me.  Luckily, it was at the preschool and they had plenty of ways to entertain themselves.  When we got home he was still a mess so while I was changing his diaper I told him he was a grouch.  He looked at me and said, "I'm taking a break, Mom."  I asked him what he was taking a break from.  And he said, "from being angry."  Awesome.  Then he began to raise his arms so I could tickle him and make him giggle.  The boy is so much fun!  And you know what?  When the break was over, he didn't remember he was once angry. 

Then I started to wonder why we don't all just "take a break" when we're angry.  I could see in the middle of an argument between two adults that one of them suddenly declares a break for tickles or other silly fun.  I'm pretty sure when the break was over, they wouldn't still be upset.  Pretty good lesson from a 2 year-old!

1 comment: