Tuesday, July 17, 2012

On making lists and mini vacations...

In June, we took the kids to Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City thanks to a wonderful Groupon I snagged.  Gotta love Groupon!  Just saying, who doesn't love a good deal?  But, since I didn't call right away to schedule our stay I didn't have any choice on the night we booked.  I was literally the very last person to schedule my stay so there was only one day to choose from.  So, we went on our mini vacation and came home on a Friday night.  On Saturday I hosted a graduation party for Chris at our house and on Sunday I helped with a baby shower for my sister-in-law.  It was not the best time to head out of town, but it was totally worth it! 

If you know me well, you know I'm a list maker.  I make lots of lists.  In fact, I re-write them and often type them just so they'll look more orderly.  That's just how I roll.  Knowing that, you'll understand that if I'm packing (even just for an overnight trip), I make a packing list.  I really don't want to be that girl who is out of town and forgot to pack something important.  Chris is that guy.  Unless I pack for him.  Or give him a list. 

The kids knew we were going on a mini-vacation.  They tried packing their bags a week early.  What some of them packed was ridiculous of course.  Sam had an entire box of Kleenexes, a stuffed animal and a pair of pajama pants.  Nice.  But the night before I told them I was going to check all of their bags to make sure they had what they needed.  Sophia told me I didn't need to look in her bag because she had made a list.  She handed it to me.  It was on a clipboard and had check off boxes.  Melt my heart!   I've taught her well!  Here's a picture. 

In case you can't read it.  Here's what she packed.  For one night, remember. One night.
2 swimsuits
3 pairs of panties
2 socks
3 pairs of clothes
6 band aids (my kids are addicted)
1 pair of PJ's
1 flashlight
1 charm bracelet
1 clock
1 polar bear
1 pillow
3 books

I guess she likes to be over-prepared like her Mom.  We had an awesome time at Great Wolf Lodge.  It was some much needed family time!  I also had the chance to catch up with my best friend from college.  We hadn't seen each other in 9 1/2 years.  YIKES!  I promise I will not let that much time pass again! 

We haven't found the time or the money this year for a regular vacation yet, so here's hoping we can at least schedule several more mini vacations!   We all need a break sometime! 




No comments:

Post a Comment