Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Sunset Hike Sounded Like a Good Idea...

We had beautiful weather Friday and no swim team practice to rush off to so I got the idea that we could do a quick hike right after the kids got out of school.  I thought we might even get to watch the sun set.  It sounded like such a good idea! 


The weather was perfect. The views were amazing.  We were just a little short on time and didn't quite anticipate how slippery the hike might actually be.  But we had a lot of fun.  And we laughed a lot! 




We headed up to Pilot's Knob where Daniel Boone famously looked over this beautiful bluegrass country.  We didn't have quite enough time to take the full trail up so we had to go off-trail and scramble our way up to the top.  It took us about an hour to reach the top.  Check out these amazing views! 

 
 

 

Then we needed to get down quickly.  The sun was setting. So we went straight down the side of the mountain.  And man, it was muddy and slippery (and steeper than it looks).  Chris and the kids all slipped and fell down a lot.  In this picture, all of them were falling down!  So of course I had to take a picture. Sam had slid further down the mountain and was waiting for everyone to catch up.


And me, Miss Clumsy herself, managed to stay upright.  It wasn't pretty, but I had a large stick I used like a ski pole - I dug in and slowly moved down a few feet at a time.  I looked ridiculous, but I stayed up.  The kids sure got a kick out of watching Chris fall!  Honestly, I did too!  We really had to race back down to the car, but we made it just before it got really dark out there.  We'll definitely do it again though...the views are worth it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment